Wednesday 13 June 2012

Ghostly flu

I woke at 4am, ill, so ill, soon as I lifted my head I felt the dizzy weakness and my ears ringing and burning with fever. Swinging my legs over the bed was like trying to heave a couple of huge lead weights with no energy, and standing up almost impossible. I forced myself downstairs, sliding against and peeling off the banister and walls for support, like a walking zombie, my mind floated down following (hopefully) my body.
 I was empty devoid of all emotion, I had been drained, sucked dry by illness. I drifted like a ghost into the kitchen and lifted my weakened limbs to grab the panadol and swallowed 2 then another 2 with water to get my temperature down some. Collapsing onto the sofa, I curled my bones into the foetal position and lay in my own agony. My skin was sticking to the leather, leaving a wet patch every time i moved, and creating a new one. Thank goodness I only seem to get this flu thing like once a year cos it sucks so painfully, I wallow in my own self pity like a hippo in the mud. A hit later and the pain subsides, I have no appetite just an unquenchable thirst, more for drugs than water. Regaining some sense of normality I return to bed to try and sleep what is left of the night.

So after a week of fluey rotten hell, I have spoken to my key worker and am officially on the list for a place in the local nuthouse to detox. Well my understanding is the NHS psychiatric hospital in my area has a drug and drink detox wing, but in fact you are mixed in with the general population, to suffer freely with an audience, and the rehab to follow. I'm ready and willing, Ive spent time in a private psych hospital before and seen all the 'sites' on offer, jeez I am one myself, so bring it on. Time to live, time to recover.

6 comments:

  1. Good luck with detox !
    I hope all goes well for you
    Karl x

    ReplyDelete
  2. i actually thought i was the only functioning drug addict out there - nice to know
    closet-junkie101.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Scargirl,

    I just found your blog and have read every post. You are a beautiful writer! It's obvious that you are incredibly bright and talented and have so much to offer this world! I wish you all the best in your recovery.

    Summer

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wanted to comment DAYS AGO but there is some computer glitch down the cafe I usually use that won't let me comment on loads of blogspot blogs. No idea why....


    Yeah: I was going to say, detoxing in a nutnut unit's probably preferable in some ways to detoxing with too many other addicts. I don't know about you but I get seriously bored of the "war stories" and prison reminiscences and all that "I'm such a wise junkie" claptrap... I find mad people actually easier to get along with than a room full of junkies, which surely says a hell of a lot about junkies! I've found drug addiction takes unique individuals and bends them all the same way, so NA do have a point when they say look to the similarities and not the differences because there are so many similarities... as for madness, people go mad in their own distinct ways and at least in a mental unit there's always something entertaining that's happened somewhere. Last time I was in I went to the church service and the preacher, who seemed on the brink of yet another "episode" was telling us how he last got diarrhoea and narrowly avoided shitting his pants by Brixton tube. And then this Indian woman in a Sari tried to pick up the piano and he said "not now, sister. Not now." As there was some other more appropriate time for her to pick up the half-tonne musical instrument unaided...

    Anyway GOOD LUCK WITH IT ALL please keep us up to date

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What happened next. Please say ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you guys! Its nice to hear support and encouragement i guess i was expecting your a terrible person type comments! But seems to be a lovely community on here.
    Carry on the good fight peeps xx

    ReplyDelete